Monday, March 8, 2010

Layers

How many layers the kids have peeled off I do not know, but they spent the weekend ripping the wall paper off their dining room wall. That space started out as a kitchen and the house surrounding it started out as just a small, flat-roofed box, built by my grandfather around 1940, the same year the Narrows Bridge fell into the narrows and the same year I arrived :o)
The house used to sit on a beautiful piece of land above the beach, overlooking the bay. When the state, in all it's wisdom, decided to build a new road to Bremerton across that land, the house was moved a couple hundred feet to the north. After a few years, my folks added on an upstairs and a new kitchen and, by then, the state realized that the brand new road to Bremerton in that location had been a mistake and built another, where it is now.
Let's hope they do the right thing when they finally decide what they are going to do about the mess through Purdy. My dream is that they build an interchange on highway 16, sending the traffic down along the north end of Burley lagoon, widening one of the roads that already exists. I can hear the people scream.

No comments: