Sunday, January 19, 2014

Laminated lady

This fishing vessel has been around for many years with a handful of owners and as of now, it belongs to one of my sons. He recently had her bulwarks rebuilt and I must say, she does look nice. When the shiprights began tearing things apart, they were astounded, amazed, astonished...whatever you'd call their reaction...to find not a bit of rot. I had always heard the guys talking about how sturdy the boat was because it was laminated.  Of course I couldn't wrap my brain around what that meant, so didn't give it any more thought.  Well, son was over yesterday and showed me pictures of the wood used to built the boat...it is all laminated wood and because of that, water wasn't able to penetrate, which had the wood still looking like new. I can't imagine the cost of the boat when built new in Tacoma, but it must have been pretty spendy even then.

No comments: