Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mom and Dad


The other day while going through mom's old slides I noticed a tiny white box, the size that a nice ring box would fit into and upon opening it found it packed tightly with slides of the four women you see in the picture. On the distant right is mom, with dad the closest on the right, the woman closest on the left is mom's sister, the two other women were sisters in law and lived right across the street from each other, and they all lived in Purdy. I hadn't realized until I found the box of pictures that they got together for their anniversaries, either dinner at home or out, but celebrate they did and always took a group picture. I'm not sure if the men enjoyed each other's company as much as the women did, but they "went along". My dad had been to sea for many years along with managing the loading and unloading of ships in Seattle and Valdez, the two brothers in law worked at the Navy Yard in Bremerton, and my uncle worked for Peninsula Light Co. A lot of different interests, but a lot of good men who humored their wives for many such occasion.
Along with group pictures, there were couples shots and it was impossible not to see the love they shared for each other.
How lucky was I to be able to look back 50 years in time and get to know them all a tiny bit better.

Oh and todays read.

No comments: