Thursday, April 8, 2010

Skansie/Goldman Home


What a shock it was yesterday to drive up Soundview and see an excavator ripping up the shrubs and trees surrounding the back of one of my favorite homes. I was hoping they were clearing a path for movers, but today as I drove past, the house was gone and all that was left was the foundation and tons of dust, blowing in the wind. If that wasn't bad enough, I also noticed that a house that used to sit on the bank at the old ferry landing , just a block away, met the same fate while we were away.
The woman who used to live in this house was from the U.K. originally and traded teaching positions with our home-ec teacher at Peninsula High for a year. While here, she met someone, married and Gig Harbor became her home. She was a very talented seamstress and when my sister married, she made the pattern for her dress from a picture sis had seen in a magazine. I think sis did the sewing, with a little help from all of us as it had what seemed like miles of handsewn ribbon on the skirt.
The house was so warm and inviting, inside and out and it is becoming more and more difficult to watch the changes in the little town where I have spent most of my life.

No comments: