Sunday, October 24, 2010

This one's for Boompah



Ingy agreed to pose in her great grandpa's visor hat only when I said I'd send the picture to Boompah. I'm not sure if that's how you spell the name she calls her grandpa, but I do know she is totally crazy about him :o)
It was interesting reading about the insignia on dad's hat at this site, although it says US Maritime Service officers wore this cap device. We always knew he was in the Merchant Marine, but for a time he must have been in the USMS. I know, because of WWII, there was great need for trained personel to man the ships needed to supply war materials and that dad was made captain at a very young age and, thankfully, survived his trips across the Atlantic in convoys during the war. Because he died so young, I will never know the answers to so many questions I'd have loved to ask.

No comments: