Thursday, June 16, 2011

Calvin Knapp

Calvin Knapp was one of my high school english teachers. Why such a talented musician was put to the task of teaching english to a bunch of students who had no desire to absord even the tiniest bit of knowledge is beyond me. He was an incredibly talented pianist and he wasn't long at Peninsula High School. He soon moved on to Pacific Lutheran University where he retired at age 75 as a full professor.
He passed away last week, at the age of 86. I am glad to have known him and to have heard him tinkle those ivory keys. And, I am a sorry I wasn't more well behaved in his class....I honestly thought assonance meant stupid since it sounded like asinine.
Assonance is the refrain of vowel sounds to create internal rhyming within phrases or sentences and together with alliteration and consonance serves as one of the building blocks of verse. HUH? Do you like blue?

No comments: