Monday, September 12, 2011

Heitor Villa Lobos

Yesterday was our orchestra picnic at the city park and in the course of conversation, Michael, our bassoon player, mentioned that he has a great duet for bassoon and flute by Villa Lobos.  I immediately said "who in the world is Villa Lobos"?   He told me and when I went home I right away started checking him out on youtube.  Well, the music I found with just flute and bassoon sounded really terrible, but as I kept searching I found a wonderful song about a little train that travels through the mountain country of Brazil. Here it is, done by a very small group and here it is, done with a full orchestra. I love them both and remember hearing the song so many times over the years as I'm sure you have, but now I know who wrote it and what it's all about :o)

No comments: