Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Mahler Project

I have 2:00 on the afternoon of  Feb 18th set aside because I have a date with Gustavo Dudamel on the big screen at our local movie theater. He will be directing Mahler's 8th Symphony from Caracas, Venezuela and my wanting to see this is all the fault of my friend Ron in Alaska, who introduced me to Mahler's 8th  after he flew to Philadelpia to see and hear the symphony of a thousand. I had never heard of Mahler and could have cared less, but now, I too am hooked.  I'm not alone, because there is a woman who plays clarinet in our New Horison's Band with MAHLER on the license plate of her car.  I was told, it's her husband that's the nut.
My friend Ron just spent the past two weeks at the Walt Disney Concert Hall listening to nothing but Mahler, The Mahler Project,  and I loved his reaction at the end of the 2nd Symphony. It was tears and more tears and it was all he could do to stifle the sobs so that he wouldn't disrupt others.  Who'd a thunk music could affect one like that, but just listen to the finale of the 8th and see what you think.

Sat Feb 18th 2012 5PM ET/ 4PM CT/ 3PM MT/ 2PM PT
Live from Caracas Venezuela
Dudamel leads the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela, combined with multiple choirs and soloists in Mahler’s 8th, "Symphony of a Thousand," the apotheosis of the Romantic symphony. This live performance will put more than 1,000 musicians on the stage in Caracas, Venezuela, giving North American audiences a chance to witness Dudamel making music on his home turf. Enhanced behind-the-scenes content will include special footage from Caracas.

This exceptional presentation is the climactic performance of The Mahler Project – one of the highlights of the LA Phil’s season – which features the complete symphonic cycle presented in both Los Angeles and Caracas.

No comments: