Thursday, July 24, 2008

Power Tower

I took a long walk on the beach today and found some more interesting rocks for my friend's "ditch". He had a drainage problem from all the winter rain we had and the years of sediment and roots that finally plugged up his drainpipe. He dug it up..all 50 feet of it, cleaned out the pipes, relaid them, and we have been hauling rocks from the beach to cover the pipe. Have you carried a bucket of rocks lately??? Try it and see how far you get!!!
Once back at my son's house, I hauled out the clippers and went to work on his overgrown jungle. It's hard having a home and being gone in the summer.
A couple weeks ago my friend and I drove over to the Olympic Mts. and along Lake Cushman. It was formed by the dam that was built to bring electricity to all of us. Those towers you see near the bridge are part of the transmission lines. When I was a kid, the mast of a fishing boat touched the power lines and all hell broke loose. Melted a whole bunch of stuff, and scared my cousin and me half to death, as we were rowing nearby.

4 comments:

FishTaxi said...

Did you live in old town valdez?

DeeDee said...

Yes I did...1952 through 1955. Went to school there too, part of the time. There were 36 kids in high school. and 18 were freshmen. Dad was good friends with Bill Egan and we bought our groceries at Gilson's grocery store.

FishTaxi said...

Interesting!

Do you have any pictures of old town?

DeeDee said...

I do have some pictures of old town. I will go through things and see what I can find. It may take a while :o)