Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chitina Tracks

One summer we drove to Chitina. A bunch of us kids went and I can't remember why...maybe Girl Scouts. We stayed in an old hotel that sagged in the middle, had cables on the outside holding it up or keeping it from tipping over , who knows.. and who knows when it was built, but it was a fun place to stay. We drove to the end of the road which took us to the Copper River. There was a track that ran up a steep, rocky hill, which I think took you to a thing-a-ma-jig that took people across the river.
In "town" near the old hotel were some left over railroad tracks, plus an old pumper car, without the pumper. We kids would maneuver it onto the tracks, then push it up the incline until we were tired...then with a mighty shove and a hop on..we would ride it down and off the tracks...then do it all over again..and again..and again. It's a miracle we didn't kill ourselves. In those days no one worried about liability...if you were stupid, you paid the consequences for your choices. Amen!
I have such wonderful memories of our visit to Chitina..




2 comments:

FishTaxi said...

Your pictures and stories are awesome!

I put a link to your blog on my blog and if you don't mind I'd to post one of these pics and do a direct link to yours.

Thankyou and keep up the good work!

DeeDee said...

That would be great...I am enjoying your site so much...I am still looking for old pictures...am thinking one of my sisters may have some..or...some may have been stolen when mom's house was broken into and they took her slide projector with some of the cartrages or just maybe there are no more.