Sunday, January 17, 2010

Charles I


Undoubtedly you're wondering why in the world I'm posting a picture of Britain's King Charles I.
Well, it's because I was talking to a friend about my many times great, grandfather, who arrived in Boston/the Massachusetts Bay Colony on May 18th, 1631 on board the Lyon/Lion, and Charles I, great, great, great grandson of Henry the VIII, was King of England at the time. My many times great grandfather managed to get here 3 months after Roger Williams. Of course you all know who he was don't ya??? Roger Williams floated into Boston/The Massachusetts Bay Colony, on the same ship. the Lyon/Lion on Feb. 5th 1631, three months before my many times great grandfather and eventually the two became good friends.
I'm thinking that for both to cross on the same ship, the crew must have made good time returning for the next bunch.
They spent time in Massachusetts, Salem and finally settling on land adjoining each other in Providence, Rhode Island, the colony that Roger Williams founded. It took him two trips back to England to accomplish his goal and he was the Governor of the colony from 1654 through 1658. The colony was founded on the premise of separaton of church and state.
Williams was a minister and when Providence burned to the ground, my many times great grandfather, who owned a tavern, invited Roger to hold church services in his establishment.
When sis and I were on one of our east coast jaunts, we visited Bryant Universiy, a small college that sits on land that used to belong to our kin and toured the restored home of the original owner. The property changed hands over the years and the last owner, Mr. Tupper, you know, Tupperware Tupper, donated the land for the college.
There...now you know why the picture of Charles I :o) Imagine having to wear that silly bunch of ruffles around yer neck.

No comments: