Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Amtrak headed north

Six of us 70 somethings and a 7 year old had a BBQ near the bridge last evening. One moved around with his walker, one sat himself down in a nice comfy lawnchair with his oxygen tank by his side and the three of us who could move on our own at normal speed did the cooking, serving and cleaning up. The 7 year old did his part entertaining us all by doing what a 7 year old boy does best.
On the beach there were a few fellas fishing and one managed to hook a nice shiny humpy. When the 7 year old saw that, he headed into the woods to find a long stick, and with the dental floss I found in my purse, and the corn cob we tied to it, he was off to try his luck. Sad to say...on his first cast, which involved tossing the corn as far as he could into the water...it went into the water minus the string ...and...alas...he came home empty handed, but I guarantee he had more fun than all of us put together :o)

I have to say, what I enjoyed most was watching the trains appear suddenly from both directions. There were loooooong freight trains with giant engines tugging with all their might and the sound of so many steel wheels on the tracks carried easily across the water. Then there were the Amtrak trains that flew along the water's edge. Oh how I would have loved to hop on board and just ride wherever it took me :o)



No comments: