Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fishermen

This old picture was put on facebook by one of my relatives. The fellow on the top left is Spiro Babich and  the one second from the right on top  is his brother, Nick Babich, my father in law, whom I never met because he died the same month and year I was born. Spiro was the first to come to this country from the island of Brac in  what is now Croatia, and his brothers came after. How long after I don't know, but in all, 7 siblings left their home and came to the United States, leaving one brother behind in the family home  where his  children and grandchildren still live.
Spiro was a very successful fisherman as was his brother Nick, but Nick died at age 45 leaving a young widow with two young children to raise and the fishing vessel, Sonia. Because Maria had the boat to lease out to other fishermen, she was able to make enough money to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. Spiro was very successful and probably the wealthiest person in town and I would imagine he helped out too.

No comments: