Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's Day


I hope you all had a fun and blessed St. Patrick's Day. I sure did, and today will be eating salt free :o) My friend, Len, even though he's half Norwegian and half Swedish, cooks a mean corned beef and cabbage spread. Some say boil the corned beef and others say just toss it in the pot with the special seasonings and let it rip. He does the toss thing, into a crockpot, topping it with carrots, potatoes and lastly, oodles of cabbage. I can eat cabbage in any way, shape or form: raw, cooked or even rotten as sauerkraut.
I made beer bread, using Coors light, not Guinness, because that has to be the worst beer ever brewed, and because, even though my fraternal grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Ireland, I don't like soda bread.
For desert we had warm apple pie from apples that I had cut up at the end of summer. Len's place has oodles of old apples trees and with a bumper crop, I hated to see them go to waste, so peeled and sliced them into a pie pan, added flour, sugar and cinnamon, then froze them. Once frozen, I removed each from the pie pan, wrapped tightly in plastic and froze. There are enough left in the freezer for quite a few more pies and last nights was to die for. Yes Bergen, I saved you a piece :o)
I am glad we celebrate St. Patrick's Day in this country. Everything seems to have become so politically correct. In fact I heard that some folks are trying to rename the day, Shamrock Day.
How dumb is that !!!! Don't they know that legend credits Patrick with teaching the Irish about the concept of the Trinity by showing people the 3-leaved clover, using it to highlight the Christian belief of 'three divine persons in the one God' . Maybe they'd best leave well enough alone. Happy St. Patrick's Day !!

No comments: