Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sunset Market


Sunset Market used to sit smack dab in down town Purdy, right next to the approach to the Purdy Bridge, which is just visible to the right of the store.
Dad ran the store for a few years and I occasionally helped. Sometimes it was stocking shelves or checking groceries, sometimes it was cleaning the meat saw and other times it was pumping gas for the customers. For some reason, I detested pumping gas and now I look at all of us as we stand out in the cold and rain, pumping our own. I really do long for the days when that service was provided.
Dad's mom is in the picture too and it was taken when she made the one and only trip west from her home in Bucksport, Maine to visit us. I was a junior at Peninsula High, taking home ec and for my class sewing project, she bought me the most beautiful blue taffeta fabric from which I made the most beautiful prom dress. If I remember correctly, I got a very good grade :o)

No comments: