Saturday, October 25, 2008

Paulo's Place


Paulo is home again. It's hard to believe a year has gone by since this young stranger arrived on my doorstep on a cold, rainy October evening after a long flight from Croatia via Germany, Florida, Chicago and at last, Seattle.
He is the grandson of my father in law's brother, the only one of 8 siblings who stayed behind in the "old country", no doubt to take care of the older family members and inherit the family home which is in a small town on the island of Brac, not far from the town of Split on the mainland.
Paulo was determined to meet his american relatives, but when he arrived here, he had no where to stay, so ended up staying in my basement. Thank goodness I don't throw things away and thank goodness for the Goodwill, as I gathered up enough of everything to make it a cozy place to live.
He was here 7 months, long enough to begin to really feel like family and long enough to meet a really sweet gal. Time will tell if he will be returning. I know it will break his grandfather's heart if he leaves, plus, the family home will be his if he stays. Jobs are scarce on the island and he is very skilled at working with stone, does that surprise you when you look at the houses? He does great granite counters and is very proud of the work he does.
I am thinking that if I ever get enough gumption to make that long, miserable flight across the ocean, his mom will for sure have a place for me in her home :o) And I know Paulo would be so thrilled to show me their home/compound which consists of a huge garden, chickens, fig and olive trees, goats which they raise for milk and meat...gasp.....!!! They are pretty much self sustaining other than having to buy bread. Can you imagine!!!

No comments: