Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A True Veteran

I see the Veteran is on the cover of Wooden Boat magazine this month. She was built right here in the harbor at Skansie Shipyard for Vin Skansie and his brother, Antone. Many a friend of mine spent his summer vacation crewing on her in the San Juans, hoping to catch their share of what was then very plentiful, Frasier River sockeye salmon. I am going to have to find a copy so I can find out who owns her now and what port she calls home. "Uncle Vin" was the epitome of the word, gentleman !!! Early in my marriage, we rented a tiny cottage from him and his wife, Olive, which was right next door to their tiny home and right on the water at the entrance of the harbor. They had no children so loved the time they could spend with my oldest, who was then just a toddler. I can still picture the two of them heading off to the dump in his old truck, Nick standing on the seat, tucked in right beside him...gasp....those were the days before carseats and seatbelts.

2 comments:

Sue Marshall said...

Thanks to your site, I have ordered this edition and can't wait to read it. I remember spending tons of time down at the beach with Aunty Olive, Uncle Vin, and Gramma Gayle

DeeDee said...

Glad you found the pix....Uncle Vin was my Godfather.....and such a gentle man/and gentleman. I was glad that the boat is being "loved" by someone. :o)