Friday, September 12, 2008

Michipicoten


I challenge anyone to pronounce the name of that beautiful laker. The picture was taken by a friend of mine who lives near Marquette, Michigan, is hopelessly addicted to the old lakers and hightails it to Marquette at the least excuse to see which boats are in loading and a chance for a picture. To top it off, the hubby of another friend of mine, who lives in Ontario, Canada used to crew on the Michipicoten/formerly Eldon Hoyt II , which belongs to a canadian company. It is especially fun to catch those giant ships as they pass through the Soo Locks.
The closest I ever came to seeing one with my own eyes was a couple years ago when I went to Chicago with a friend to see his family. The bunch of us drove down to Gary, Indiana to check out the sand dunes and could see in the distance, a laker leaving the old steel mill. Maybe someday I will get a closer look.

2 comments:

Shippics said...

Ah, I believe it is Mish-i-pi-cotten. It was taken right after a storm, thus the color of the sky and water.

DeeDee said...

It is really a great picture...have any like that of the Saginaw...the other favorite of mine...I think because I like the paint job...and because Denny crewed on them. My gosh, I thought it was Mitch-i-pi-cotten ...what do I know :o)