Saturday, November 29, 2008

3 Legged Race


Folks in Valdez really celebrated Independence Day each year and in this photo my little sis, all in red, is doing her part to make it down the length of the street designated for the 3 legged race. It was probably 1953 and the streets were still dirt. I think both wood buildings in the background were bars and a little to the left, but not pictured, was a grocery store, owned by Bill Egan, the future first governor of Alaska. If I remember correctly, they sold the best bread which I think was made there. Possibly Bill's brother Truck. owned one of the bars in the picture.
After taking a good look at what the kids are wearing, that picture could have been taken today.
Those few years in Alaska when I was a kid will always be some of my best memories.

No comments: