Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Montana Snow


My sis took this picture a few days ago. She is now living in Montana and loves the big sky country. I have yet to visit, but maybe when warm weather comes back, my friend and I will drive over. I think the last time I made that trip was when I was in high school and mom drove us to Salmon, Idaho to meet my sister's future inlaws. The one thing that stood out in my memory was the spooky, dark entrance into the hillside where the family had for years, mined gold. No way would I have gone in there, no matter how rich it might have made me. After 1933 and before Jan 1st, 1975, we weren't allowed to trade or own gold other than jewelry, so my brother in law's dad made a loooong watch chain out of the gold that was definately not jewelry, but got around the gold ownership rules. I am not sure what became of it, and I am sure he never used it as a watch chain as there were definately no pockets big enough or suspenders with enough snap to hold up that much weight, but I would imagine it's locked away safe and sound if it still exists. Talk about a 401-k!!!

No comments: