Thursday, January 1, 2009

SU's Back























Happy New Year !!!
The Seattle University Red Hawks, formerly the Chieftains when I attended SU in the 50's, will have their first home game tonight as a Division I school at Key Arena against Loyola Marymount, another D-I school. The last time SU played in that program was 1980.
I was a senior in high school 50 years ago when Elgin Baylor played for SU, taking them to the NCAA tournament, but my older sister was attending SU at the time, and I still have memories of my dad and the principal of our high school, dad was Catholic, the principal Lutheran, giving each other a bad time all through the tournament. At the time, dad owned a little store near the school and the two men would talk basketball when Art stopped for groceries on his way home. SU and Baylor didn't win the championship, they lost in the final game to Kentucky, but I will always carry the memories of those two men and the fun they had throughout the competition.

No comments: