Monday, January 5, 2009

Oboe Madness


I have always wanted to play Gabriel's Oboe on the oboe..the song you hear when this site opens so, I finally broke down and rented one. I read what I could online, bought a reed, soaked it for a couple minutes as I was told to do and sad to say, this was the pathetic sound I got on my first try. I think I would equate it to an air raid siren. I read that some people faint when first learning to play until they get the breathing down pat. I was a little light headed, but stayed in my chair, then again, with my asthma I tend to be a little dizzy at times anyway :o) I am renting by the month, and have a feeling it will be just the one month that the music store gets any of my money. The flute is looking a whole lot easier to play and so much cheaper thanks to never having to buy reeds. After buying just the one, it is obvious why oboe players learn to make their own. I guess I'll never be a Wang Liang, but in case I don't become a quitter, I will share my squawks with you.

No comments: